Aston Martin is lifting the lid on an extreme new sports car with the global debut of the V12 Vantage Roadster.
The new sports car, available as a limited edition in selected markets worldwide, immediately becomes the most potent example of the open-top Vantage range and mixes the breath-taking power of Aston Martin’s naturally aspirated 6.0-litre V12 engine with the established thrills of Vantage Roadster driving for what is an unforgettable sports car experience.
The V12 Vantage Roadster’s 6.0-litre engine, mated as in the Coupe to a six-speed manual gearbox, generates 517 PS at 6,500 rpm and a muscular 570 Nm of torque at 5,750 rpm. It has been intelligently packaged into the Vantage Roadster’s compact form to fully exploit the sports-orientated model’s ample natural agility.
The naturally-aspirated V12 provides high levels of power and torque yet it delivers a flexible, refined driving experience illuminated with the potential for truly electrifying performance. The 0-62 mph sprint is dispatched in just 4.5 seconds* while this most potent Aston Martin Roadster is capable of 190 mph*.
While the Roadster naturally shares much of the technical and specification features of the V12 Vantage Coupe, some elements are redesigned to take account of the Roadster’s neat packaging and engaging dynamics.
The V12 Vantage Roadster features a redesigned rear boot lid and lower front air intake to maintain a level of dynamic performance that’s fully in keeping with the V12 Coupe, while there are also a number of unique chassis revisions. These include a modified rear damper set-up, front and rear damper valve tuning and a new rear spring design.
These changes, in conjunction with Aston Martin’s use of Pirelli P Zero Corsa tyres, ensure the sports car delivers dramatic straight-line performance as well as outstanding handling.
Styled to be as beautiful as it is potent, the new Roadster boasts a number of eye-catching additions that underline its sporty characteristics. Carbon fibre side strakes; a carbon fibre front splitter and rear diffuser; carbon fibre mirror caps and carbon fibre rear lamp infills – plus the new forged alloy wheel design – should leave the sports car cognoscenti in no doubt that this is a truly exclusive Aston Martin.
At the rear, the boot lid on the V12 Vantage Roadster incorporates a more pronounced ‘flip’ to reduce rear lift and improve stability at high speeds. The V12’s diffuser houses a large, centre-mounted oil cooler and two large tail-pipe finishers.
As with the front splitter, the carbon fibre rear diffuser is hand-made to ensure the direction and consistency of the weave and ensure the best possible finish.
Inside, there are other distinguishing features that make the new car stand out from its illustrious siblings in the sought-after Aston Martin V8 Vantage and V12 Vantage line-up. Subtle additions such as the use of glass switches in the lower centre stack elevate yet further the luxurious ambience in the V12 Vantage Roadster cabin.
While for those seeking the ultimate in V12 Vantage Roadster personalisation, a package of interior trim comprising carbon fibre facia and carbon fibre gearshift surround is available.
Unique to the V12 Vantage and new V12 Vantage Roadster is the engine’s “Sport” mode button, which enables the driver to select between two different powertrain modes.
Normal mode is the default from start-up and provides not only a more relaxed throttle response but also a quieter, more refined exhaust note. This creates a more progressive throttle response, suited to ‘everyday’ situations such as when driving in heavy traffic.
Sport mode, meanwhile, is designed for use in more dynamic driving situations where sharper responses are required. It has a number of tangible effects on the powertrain including a sharper throttle response, with the engine delivering more torque during the early stages of throttle pedal travel. Exhaust system bypass valves are also kept open for longer to create a particularly sporty exhaust note.
Aston Martin Chief Executive Officer Dr Ulrich Bez said: “The V12 Vantage models are, first and foremost, driver’s cars – inviting and fully rewarding the driver’s full involvement.
“The addition to our range of this exceptional new Roadster allows the driver and passenger to experience full ‘sensory overload’ thanks to its outstanding performance.”
He added: “I believe no other car in this class offers the combination of the V12 Vantage Roadster’s prestige, six-speed manual gearbox and the unique enjoyment that driving a high performance convertible can deliver.”
Available to order in selected markets now, the new Aston Martin V12 Vantage Roadster is priced at £150,000 RRP in the UK.
– Two-door, two-seat layout
– VH bonded aluminium structure
– Aluminium, magnesium alloy, composite and steel body
– Extruded aluminium door side impact beams
– High Intensity Discharge headlamps (dipped beam)
– Halogen projector headlamps (main beam)
– LED rear lamps
– All-alloy quad overhead cam 48 valve 5,935cc V12
– Compression ratio 10.7:1
– Front mid-mounted engine, rear-wheel drive
– Fully-catalysed stainless steel exhaust system with active bypass valves
– 517 PS at 6,500 rpm
– 570 Nm at 5,750 rpm
– 0-62 mph (100 km/h): 4.5 seconds***
– Maximum speed: 190 mph*** (305 km/h***)
– Rear mid-mounted six-speed manual gearbox
– Alloy torque tube with carbon fibre prop shaft
– Limited-slip differential
– Final drive ratio 3.71:1
– Rack and pinion
– Column tilt and reach adjustment
– Length: 4,382mm
– Width: 2,022mm (including mirrors)
– Height: 1,256mm
– Wheelbase: 2,600mm
– Fuel Tank: 80ltrs
– Weight: 1,760kg***
– Front: Independent double wishbone incorporating anti-dive geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube dampers
– Rear: Independent double wishbones with anti-squat and anti-lift geometry, dual-rate coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube dampers
Wheels and tyres
– Front: 9J x 19” Pirelli P Zero Corsa 255/35 ZR19
– Rear: 11J x 19” Pirelli P Zero Corsa 295/30 ZR19
– Tyre repair kit
– Front: Ventilated carbon ceramic discs – 398 mm diameter with six-piston calipers
– Rear: Ventilated carbon ceramic discs – 360 mm diameter with four-piston calipers
– Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Track mode
– Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
– Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
– Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
– Traction Control
– Glass switches
– Carbon fibre door pulls
– Leather trimmed steering wheel
– Memory seats and exterior mirrors (three positions)
– Sports seats with 10-way electric adjustment, including height, tilt and lumbar adjustment
– Dual Stage Driver and Passenger Front Airbags
– Side Airbags (Sports seats only)
– Heated rear screen
– Automatic temperature control
– Trip computer
– Cruise control
– Hard Disk Drive (HDD) satellite navigation system*
– Bluetooth telephone preparation*
– Powerfold exterior mirrors
– Rain-sensing wipers
– Rear parking sensors
– Automatic headlamps
– Auto-dimming interior rear view mirror
– Tyre pressure monitoring*
– Alarm and immobiliser
– Remote-control central door locking
– Battery disconnect switch
– Tracking device (UK only)
– 160W Aston Martin Audio System
– MP3 player connectivity
– Carbon Fibre Interior Pack (comprising carbon fibre facia and gearshift surround)
– Lightweight seats with six-way adjustment, including front and rear height adjust (does not include side airbags or passenger airbag cut-off switch)
– 700W Aston Martin Premium Audio System with Dolby® Pro Logic II®
– Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 1000W Audio System
– Black Bang & Olufsen speaker grilles and acoustic lens towers
– Black finish grille
– Bright finish grille
– Black exhaust tailpipes
– Black bonnet and side strake meshes
– Personalised sill plaques
– Garage door opener (Europe only)
– Tracking device**
– First aid kit
– Ashtray and cigar lighter
– Boot-mounted umbrella
– Front parking sensors
– Reversing camera
– Heated seats (Sports seats only)
– ISOFIX and fixed-height passenger seat (Sports seat only)
– Battery conditioner
*Not available in all markets
**Complies with UK Thatcham Category 5 requirements. Excludes subscription. Standard in UK